Looks like I am in a Mexican food kinda mood this week! This is one of my favorite recipes to make, mostly because it's super easy and my hubby always goes back for seconds! PLUS - its great reheated for lunch the next day! The first time I made enchiladas I made them exactly how the recipe on the back of the enchilada sauce said to...but that's for the birds! So after making this dish a few times I have slowly changed it into a much healthier and easier version.
The best part about these "sour cream" enchiladas is that there is actually no sour cream in them. My secret is Greek Yogurt - which I guess is no longer a secret! Greek yogurt, if you haven't tried it, is a GREAT alternative to sour cream. It is much thicker than regular yogurt, pretty comparable to sour cream in fact, and its packed with protein.
Typically you would use about 8 oz of sour cream, at least, for this recipe - 485 calories, 48 grams of fat, 7 grams of protein. Compared to 8 oz of non-fat Greek yogurt - 130 calories, 0 fat, 24 grams of protein. HUGE difference in nutrition, no difference in taste!
Over time, my laziness has taken over and I no longer make actual enchiladas - it gets messy and takes forever...so it is more of a casserole.
So here is what you need:
About 1 lb of shredded cooked chicken
2 cans of green enchilada sauce
1 can diced green chilis
8-10 oz non-fat Greek Yogurt
1-2 cups of reduced fat shredded Mexican cheese
18 corn tortillas
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium size mixing bowl mix chicken, about 1/2 can of enchilada sauce, chilis, yogurt and 1/2 cup cheese.
2. Pour other 1/2 can of enchilada sauce into bottom of 9X13 casserole dish and cover with 6 tortillas. Layer about 1/2 of the chicken mixture on top of the tortillas.
3. Repeat step 2. 1/2 can sauce, 6 tortillas, other half of chicken mixture.
4. Finish off with last 6 tortillas, the rest of the enchilada sauce and a layer of cheese on top.
5. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for about 30-40 minutes.
You can add more cheese in there if you like it cheesier - I don't usually end up using a full two cups.
I know it sounds weird, but no one will have any idea that there is yogurt in your enchiladas...no one in my family did...until now! =)
TIME SAVER TIP: I always boil my chicken and shred, but I'm sure a rotisserie chicken would work just as well and be super quick!